Garvanza (Images of America)

Garvanza (Images of America)

Charles J. Fisher

Language: English

Pages: 128

ISBN: 0738581208

Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub


Named for the garbanzo bean that Julio Verdugo raised on his Rancho San Rafael, the town of Garvanza was laid out by Ralph Rogers in 1886. The community soon became a haven for artists and others seeking a refuge from the growing urban life of Los Angeles. Early institutions included the Church of the Angels and the Judson Studios, founded by painter William Lees Judson to create art through stained glass. The town's identity was eventually overtaken by neighboring Highland Park, but the community name was reestablished in the 1990s by today's residents, who are as in love with its beauty as those 110 years earlier.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

craftsman tower has been lost. Today the century-old chapel continues to serve the community as the Lighthouse Garvanza Foursquare Church. (Author’s collection.) CRAFTSMAN HOUSE IN LEWIS TRACT. The bungalow shown in these two 1919 views is typical of the type of housing that was built in Garvanza during the growth years of the World War I period. The Lewis Tract had originally been subdivided in 1886 by a contractor named Emanuel Lewis. Born in California to Portuguese parents, Lewis had

Garvanza’s housing. In 1963, “Ralph Story’s Los Angeles” did a segment on the lost community of Garvanza as a part of a larger show on the Arroyo Seco communities. (Photograph by the author.) Seven A REAWAKENING The period of the last several decades had been one of loss and survival for the entire Highland Park area, including the Garvanza section. This began to change in the mid-1970s as the communities began to reclaim their heritages. In 1973, a proposal was advanced to build a veteran’s

left wide open to more destruction. (Photograph by the author.) DESTROYED BY FIRE. Witnesses stated that the early morning fire looked like a big Roman candle as the Wilson estate was destroyed on December 14, 1989. Later that morning, the city council passed its first ordinance to provide for punitive damages to owners who destroy or let others destroy historic structures. (Photograph by the author.) THE TRAIN AND WILLIAMS PORCH REMAINS. Workers clear weeds from the Wilson site. The Cultural

Rafael Heights. The Hesketh House is visible to the left of the staircase that has replaced the steep incline of Avenue 66. The concrete bridge over the freeway and the Arroyo Seco is at the site of the earlier bridges. (Photograph by the author.) THE HOUSE ON THE BLUFF. The little Queen Anne–style cottage on Thorne Street shows in every view of Garvanza shot from Santa Fe Hill since it first appeared in 1887. The house may have been one of several spec houses designed by architect Joseph Cather

Two days after the fire, the Los Angeles Times announced that architects Train and Williams were already designing a new building for the school using the existing first story and basement of the original structure. Completed in 1912, the new building at 200 South Avenue 66 was just as unique as its predecessor. (Virginia Neely collection.) ARROYO GUILD: “WE CAN.” Train and Williams designed the new school to be a home for the Arroyo Guild of Craftsman as well as the art school. The guild looked

Download sample

Download